Embarrassed by darker underarms? 11 underarm whitening scrubs you can try!
With the summer approaching, we are all heading towards getting our summer wardrobe out! Which also means that there’s going to be a lot of sleeveless tops and dresses. A lot of people hesitate with wearing anything sleeveless as they’re conscious about their underarms and how they look. Having dark underarms is a common issue and many of us are embarrassed by it. Although, there is no issue to feel embarrassed about the natural course of your skin, there sure are ways to make it look better and enhance your confidence!
What causes darker underarms?
There are various reasons as to why your underarms can turn out to be dark. Your genetics and skin type have a huge role to play with this as well and each body is different. Although, there are some additional factors that could contribute to the darkening of your underarms and they are :
- Deodorants and antiperspirants. The chemicals in these products can cause discolouration and so one must be careful before purchasing a product that could cause darkening of your armpit.
- Shaving also causes your armpits to darken. It causes inflammation of skin and discolouration. It also causes pigmentation of underarms. Waxing or tweezing can be good alternatives for this!
- Lack of exfoliation can also cause dark underarms and the dead skin cells can accumulate.
- Smoking is also known to be a source of darkening your skin.
- Certain hormonal medications could also contribute to darkening your armpits.
Underarm scrubs you can make at home
For whatever reason that your underarms are dark, don’t worry too much as we’re going to list out 11 ways in which you can lighten them. And this doesn’t even require you to pay a visit to the grocery store as you’ll find it all in your kitchen! Scrub it out in these ways:
1. Turmeric scrub
Turmeric is known to be great for skin and is an age old remedy to tackle skin issues. So, of course there is a scrub for your underarms that has turmeric as it’s star. For this, take 2 teaspoons of turmeric and add lemon juice to it, just enough to make a paste. Apply the paste on your armpits and wash it off after 30 mins. There is no way you’ll go wrong with using turmeric!
2. Lemon 7 sugar scrub
This combination is one of the best exfoliators and removes dead skin cells. Because of it’s bleaching properties, it lightens the underarms. It’s also suitable for people who sweat easily. For this scrub, mix sugar and lemon juice. Scrub the underarms for about 2-3 minutes, leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off. This can be done 3-4 times a week.
3. Orange peel powder & rosewater scrub
This scrub has great lightening properties and helps with taking care of dark underarms. For this, take 2 teaspoons of orange peel powder and mix the rosewater to form a paste. Apply it on your underarms and gently scrub for about 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. You can do this around 3 times a week.
4. Walnut powder & honey
This combination removes the dead skin cells and dirt. It lightens the underarms and is suitable for those who sweat excessively. For this, take 1 teaspoon of walnut powder, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply this paste on your underarms and leave it for around 15 minutes and then rinse it with water. This can be repeated 2-3 times a week.
5. Baking soda & coconut oil scrub
This scrub is great for exfoliating and removing dead skin cells. It opens up the pores and removes the bacteria and dirt. It also nourishes and moisturises the skin. For this, make a paste of baking soda and coconut oil and apply it on your armpits. Scrub it gently for a few minutes and it can be left on for about 5-10 minutes. Then, rinse with water.
6. Oatmeal & honey scrub
This scrub has bleaching properties that helps with lightening the underarms. Apply the mix of oatmeal and honey on your underarms and gently scrub it for 2-3 minutes. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
7. Apple cider vinegar & baking soda scrub
This scrub helps to remove dead skin cells and lightens up the dark underarms. It also kills the microbes. For this, take 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. After mixing, you’ll see some bubbles rising. Once the bubbles are settled, apply the mixture on your underarms and leave it on for a few minutes for it to dry. Rinse off with water and this can be repeated thrice a week.
8. Rosewater & baking soda scrub
This scrub helps in removing the dead skin cells and gets rid of the germs that cause irritation to the skin. For this, take 2 teaspoons of rose water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Apply the paste and scrub gently. Leave it on for around 10 minutes and rinse it off with water. You can do this twice a week!
9. Multani mitti with lemon juice
This age old ingredient can never go wrong as it is a great tool for exfoliating. It’s known to be very effective with respect to lightening underarms. For this, take 2 tablespoons of multani mitti and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, you can add a few drops of water to make a paste. Apply it on your armpits and let it dry for about 10-15 minutes. You can then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This can be done twice a week!
10. Sugar & olive oil scrub
Both white and brown sugar can be used for this scrub as they are considered natural exfoliators. They’re good for treating tan and clogged pores. Olive helps in locking in the moisture and is known to be a healthy option for your skin. For this, take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 and a half tablespoons of brown sugar. Scrub gently for 2-3 minutes and leave it on for around 15 minutes. Rinse it off with water. You can do this twice a week!
11. Other material that can be used daily
There are many other foods that you can take from the kitchen and use on a daily basis to keep your underarms lightened like potatoes, cucumber, egg oil, lemon, coconut oil etc.
- Potato can be a natural bleaching ingredient. Just take a slice and rub it in circular motions on your underarms. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then you can wash it off.
- Similarly, you can take a cucumber slice and rub on your armpits for around 10 minutes. You can wash it off with water then.
- Just before bedtime, you can massage your armpits with egg oil, leave it on for the night and wash it off in the morning with soap.
- You can take thick slices of lemon and rub it on your underarms for around 10 minutes. Wash it off and apply a moisturizer!
- Massage coconut oil on your armpits, after 15 minutes wash it off with soap. You can repeat this step 2-3 times a day!
Needless to say, we need to accept our body and complexion the way it is and embrace it! These could be ways you try to better the health of your skin as healthy options and alternatives are always welcome! So this summer, don’t shy away! Let us know if these measures were able to help you raise your hand up in the air, like you just don’t care! Cause that’s how we’d like it. If there’s anything additionally that you’d like to tell us, please do as we all love our summer wear!